Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Day of the Sumo!! (By Jeffrey)

One day on our family’s world trip we were rushed, very rushed indeed. We were going to something you can only see in Japan....SUMO WRESTLING!! We weren’t sure we could even get tickets. I was thinking that we had a fifty-fifty chance of getting them because we had read that you needed to be at the stadium very early to get tickets for the same day.

It took around 30 minutes to get there by train and subway on Thursday, September 18th. We got the tickets for an awesome price. It cost 4600Yen in total, about $46Cdn. Each adult was $21 and each kid was $2. We weren’t expecting it to cost so little. The matches started out by showcasing the lower ranked Sumo wrestlers. We had the best seats in the house, only four feet away from the place they wrestled. We could also ask for tea in our seats. The seats were actually cushions arranged in a group of four to one box. We sat in these seats until lunch.

After lunch we sat in seats closer to the top of the building. Also after lunch the quality of the Sumo increased. We also met an Australian whose parents were Japanese. It was really weird to hear an Australian accent in Japan.

Many people believe that Sumo wrestlers are extremely fat. Of course some of them are, but the best aren’t that fat. The bouts were actually very interesting. My dad even said “I’d rather se Sumo wrestling than see a Leaf game if given the choice again.” I don’t necessarily agree with him but I do think Sumo wrestling offered better value. Four people could attend a full day (8 hours) and have a great lunch for the price of a decent seat at a Leaf’s game!

You can watch approximately 220 Sumo bouts in one day. The average bout was about 20 seconds with the longest running to about a minute and a half. Each bout had a repetitious 3 minute ceremony prior to the bout. We had no idea what the ref and his assistant were saying at this time even after 4:00pm when we got our English commentary radios. I thought the ceremonies were not necessary, however, I enjoyed every other minute of Sumo. When the current champion (no losses in his last 20 bouts) lost to the worst wrestler in his group, everybody on the lower deck started throwing their cushions at him. It was hilarious!

On our way home we saw a Sumo wrestler all by himself on the subway. It shocked me because Sumo wrestling is Japan’s national sport. I thought he would have been treated like royalty. Well I guess that probably only the top Sumo wrestlers would be treated like royalty. The funny thing is that we weren’t expecting to get into the match because there are only 6 tournaments per year, however, not only did we get in but we had fabulous seats. Without a doubt I would go to another Sumo tournament. Even my sister enjoyed it!

(P.S. – you can leave me a comment if you have any questions about Sumo)

5 comments:

John Mozas said...

Hey Jeff and fam... Sumo looks like it was a great time. I'm impressed with what you saw, but also impressed with your grammar and spelling; wow - home schooling must really work. You and Sam should ask to stay home forever! Bye for now. John

Anonymous said...

Hello Misner's,

After seeing the pictures and your write-up, it sounds like I need to expand my sports viewing to include Sumo wrestling (Amanda will love the fact that I am watching mroe sports). The wonderful and interesting experiences keep coming, you are all very lucky to be on this exciting journey. Amanda and I took Bethany to her first Leafs game last night (pre season), she wore the Jersey that Jeffrey gave her and we will send you pictures in the next couple of days. Amanda, Bethany and I look forward to hearing more about your wonderful journey. Grandma K is staying with us this week so we are going to try and call you.

Take Care

Ben

Anonymous said...

The Sumo Wresting Competition looks and sounds amazing, Jeffery! You're right, I did think all Sumos were obese, but that one guy was really fit. Your Mom was good at the Inuit Games at Kearney. Has she been trying some of the Sumo moves? Watch out!!!

Enjoy the rest of your stay in Japan and tuck into lots of Sushi!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jeff, looks kinda scary to me. Those guys are pretty big.
It looks like all of you are having a great time in Tokyo. Sure wish I was there.
How is the Japanese food. Save me a doggy bag eh!!!!!!!!!
Love
"C"

Anonymous said...

Jeff - good description of your Sumo wrestling experience. Nice uniform on the wrestlers. I hope your mom doens't decide that this is the new kind of "underwear" she is going to buy your friends. Your pal Brad