Saturday, October 25, 2008

Northern Thailand TREK by Samantha [Oct 17-19th]



    There were many things my family and I wanted to do when we were in Thailand. I wanted to go elephant riding, all of us wanted to visit native villages, and my Mom wanted to get exercise trekking through the jungle. We decided to go on a three day trek that allowed us to do all of these thing plus many more. We arrived in Bangkok from Hong Kong and stayed there for three nights. Then we travelled by sleeper train to Chang Mai, the second largest city in Bangkok. After three days in Chang Mai we took a local bus to Chang Doe. We stayed in a really great resort called The Chang Doe Nest. It had lots of green space, a new pool and the owners who lived there had 2 children. One was a 7
year old boy named Joseph and the other was a 2 year old girl named Alice who always hung out with me. Whenever I left she would scream and call my name.


 

We stayed at the Nest for three nights before leaving on a three days/two night trek through the northern jungle. After breakfast of cereal, fresh fruit, bread and jam, we started our journey including my family, a French couple, our guide Sam ,oh and don't forget me of course. On our first day we went elephant riding, bamboo rafting and we went to visit a couple of villages. On our 2nd day we went to a cave that we had to crawl on our bellies through the mud. Also on the 2nd day we tried to get to a water fall but we ran into a wasp nest and almost got stung, so we didn't make it all the way. That night we stayed in a village. There we had a camp fire and I got to dress up in a traditional outfit and dance a traditional dance. That is where I met our guide Sam. Our guide Sam was extra careful about me and made shore I was always safe. He was 66 years old and is in great shape because he walks about 10-15 K.M a day up and down the mountains.


 

    On the 3rd day of our trek I awoke to the sound of the rain. I heard children's voices so I stepped outside and found my mom and about 10 village kids waiting for me to get up. I gave them all a mento and they left with a smile on their face. The main thing I am going to talk about is the 3rd day cave. Our guide Sam was extra careful about me and sure I was always safe. We walked a long a bumpy, muddy, narrow path to get to the cave. When we entered the cave we had to go through a small and narrow space. After we got through the small and narrow space we had to walk through mud and lots of puddles of water. It was pretty nasty. My brother fell in the dirt and mud. It was hilarious!! There was lots of puddles and stalagmite. I bumped my head on ALOT of theme. Especially my brother bumped his head. I spotted a bat on the top of the cave then I spotted another one and as soon as I looked up I realized there were a ton of bats swirling in circles on top of the cave. They were black and big and Jeffery and mom were freaking out. It was hilarious! We finally got out and we saw tons of Buddha's at the end of the cave. There was a monk living in the cave and I thought that was really weird. The trek was REALLY hard at times but I'm really glad I did it!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool Sam. Its like watching a movie every time you send pictures from the amazing places you are visiting. You'll have lots to tell us when you get home.
Love
Aunt
"C"

Anonymous said...

Wow!! This Blog just gets better and better!!! Great job on all the adventures!! Keep up the great work and I can't wait to hear all about each country!!
Love and Hugs
Karen

Unknown said...

Hi!Had fun reading your blog. I want to say a big "Thank You" for having me over for supper when you were at Marloth Park. Mike is great. As my neighbour, we are great friends. Also, a big "Thank You" for the books you left me. What a surprise! They will indeed be very useful for me when I go to China. Still no confirmation yet for China but it should come soon. It was lovely to meet you all and I hope the rest of your RTW trip goes very well! Keep well and God Bless, Helen Campbell

The proctors said...

Hey,I just (I being 3_10,2,13,6_8) it sounds like you guys are having fun that's great,uhhhh.........................
see ya soon

Anonymous said...

whoops we ment "I just found out you can follow your rtw"